We've Moved

This blog has moved to a new website. Click here to visit.

There’s a million things I haven’t done

Content warning: This post contains references to sexual assault and conversion therapy.

If most people have their ho phase in college, I was 16 years late to the party. My college days were for getting A’s and God’s approval. Instead of being a lil ho, I was a good girl and read my textbooks, wrote my papers, went to conversion therapy, and only slept with my boyfriend (whom I thought God wanted me to marry) once.

Even after college I remained celibate. Even though my sexual ethic was already shifting during that period, I was still largely invested in trying to make a more traditional Christian sexual ethic work. That meant that even if I had been widely dating, I was actively avoiding sex. I was lying in wait, knowing eventually I would be in the room where it happens.

The Ho Phase

My ho phase came after opening our marriage. After years of being responsible for my own orgasms, I was not going to throw away my shot. I was going to end my dry spell by having sex with a lot of people – preferably people I would never have to see again.

I went into this ho phase with a false assumption, though. I am a larger lady, and I carry my mother’s voice in my head to this day repeating her, “no one will love you if you can’t lose weight.” Even after years of working on my self-image, part of me still believed that most people would find me sexually repulsive. I falsely assumed that I was a beggar and, therefore, couldn’t be a chooser.

Thinking I would need to settle for anyone who deigned to show interest in me added together with an intense desire to feel wanted meant that I was not very picky about who I engaged with. In the span of just a few months, I went from a body count of exactly 2 to around 15. I didn’t care about overall compatibility, just sexual interest. I gave my real phone number to people the day we matched. I went to strangers’ houses to have sex with them. I fast-tracked hookups, trading safety for orgasms (sometimes).

It was exhilarating! It was empowering!

And it was utterly stupid.

Hookup Safety

Thinking of all the safety precautions I ignored or let slide during those days, I am honestly surprised that one many trying to force me to blow him and succeeding in forcing me to jerk him is the worst thing that happened to me.

Before my first hookup, I searched online for safety advice and I tried (somewhat) to follow it. A lot of the advice I found, however, was aimed at people looking for dating relationships and not casual hookups. I wanted to fuck these guys, not marry them, so I thought I could abbreviate the safety rules and still be safe.

The reality is that there is no such thing as a safe hookup with a stranger. They’re a stranger; safety comes from the trust that people will behave as advertised, but a stranger hasn’t had a chance to earn that trust, yet. Hooking up with a stranger is inherently dangerous.

Here’s what I would tell anyone looking for hookups:

  • Meet in public before you hook up
  • If you don’t meet in public for whatever reason, have them come to your residence so you can verify they are who you think they are before letting them in
  • If you don’t meet in public for whatever reason, do NOT go to their residence. You simply cannot know who is going to answer the door, whether there are going to be more people there, or how safe you will be there. Just don’t do it.
  • I feel like this shouldn’t have to be said in this day and age, but use condoms. Do not believe a stranger when they say they’re clean or have had a vasectomy, just like they should be wary of you. They haven’t earned anywhere near enough trust for things like that, so use the condoms.
  • If their face is covered in the dating app and they list a fake name, they’re cheating. Being a ho doesn’t mean we condone cheating, nor does being poly.
  • Listen to your gut instinct. Even if you can’t explain why you feel uncomfortable, leave.
  • Safety calls don’t keep you safe; do them anyway. If your hookup is dismissive or ridicules you wanting to make a safety call, or in any way tries to prevent it, leave immediately.

Some of those rules I followed litigiously. Some of them I started off doing every time, but got lax in as I gained confidence and a (false) sense of security. Others I completely disregarded when I got horny and started thinking with my pink bits.

I’m begging you: Don’t disregard your safety for 30 minutes of fun.

Confidence Boom

Despite my poor safety decisions, I survived. In fact, I quickly realized that I was fucking my way into confidence. The men I hooked up with found me sexy. Not only that, but they also thought I was good. Most hookups that were supposed to be one-night only ended up being repeat hookups because they enjoyed having sex with me. Wanderer (my first hookup after opening my marriage) had never been with a large lady before, and even he made me feel incredibly sexy.

At the same time, Sunrise was one of those first couple of weeks hookups that has turned into an ongoing casual partner. Sunrise was supposed to be a one-night stand, but here we are almost 6 months later and we’re still hooking up. This man opened my eyes sexually. He was the first partner who truly found my anatomy appealing and wanted to spend significant time going down; correspondingly, he’s the first person to ever make me orgasm from oral sex. He arranged a threesome with another woman, which was both my first threesome and my first encounter with a woman. Sunrise also really, really likes the way I worship his cock. There is nothing quite like an experienced man craving you to boost your confidence and make you truly believe that you are sexy, desirable, and enjoyable in the bedroom. 

These and other encounters within the first couple of weeks started reshaping my self-perception. The confidence I gained carried me forward to other partners and opportunities for growth. Seeing myself blooming from such small nurturing made me realize I wasn’t broken, just malnourished. Casual sex wasn’t just fulfilling a carnal desire: It was helping me build the agency in all areas of my life that I had doubted for years.

Lessons in Exploration

That was just the initial burst of growth. I was non-stop, and I approached my sexual revolution a la Hamilton: “My name is Moon Shadow, and there’s a million things I haven’t done. Just you wait!”

My first girlfriend was Sage. I’ll talk more about her in posts focused more on BDSM, but Sage was important to my journey. Beyond being my first girlfriend, she also helped me remember that if I’m kinky and into BDSM, I should get involved with the local kink community and utilize online resources designed specifically for kinky people. She took me to munches and helped me get vetted for the largest dungeon in my city. Most importantly, though, she taught me the importance of making sure both partners’ expectations are aligned. Ultimately, I wanted a girlfriend to be super romantic and grossly cute with and she wanted a lifelong partner. Sage holds a soft spot in my heart even though it didn’t work out. 

Trickster, as the name suggests, was tricksy. We initially hooked up with the understanding that he would top me, which he did. This man knew how to worship my body, that’s for sure. However, as he learned that I was kinky, the nature of our dynamic started shifting. He didn’t actually want to top; he wanted me top him and be a fetish dispenser. The problem is that I don’t actually like topping that much. I will for a partner I care about, and some types of topping aren’t as onerous to me as others. But Trickster wanted like full S&M play with strong tones of domination. What he really needed was a pro-Domme, not a kinky person picked up off of Tinder. While he helped me discover and enforce my boundaries, I’m glad we’re done.

My acquaintance with Muse was doomed to failure from the start. Despite us both agreeing we didn’t want a Relationship relationship, I started catching feelings for him before we ever met. We actually followed good safety practices and got to know each other fairly well before we met in a public place, but that getting to know him was fatal for me. I took two positive things from my time with Muse: I started taking better care of myself with him and I explored a kink I never thought I would. Muse had a foot fetish, and through being with him I took far better care of my feet than I ever have, and that foot care translated into taking care of the rest of me, too. I also learned that I do not have a foot fetish, but it’s not particularly a turn-off, either. Telling Muse we wouldn’t be seeing each other hurt more than I anticipated it would (ironically, it hurt more than breaking up with Sage).

The first relationship that allowed me to begin exploring my submission (instead of bottoming) was with Siren. This relationship was entirely online and was quite fun. I will go into more details about Siren when I talk about BDSM more, but Siren helped me explore quite a lot and is to thank for a good bit of my initial growth as a submissive. Siren and I were involved for a couple of months until Helios and I became official. Some people are okay with having more than one Dominant, but (at this moment) I am not. Siren was good to me, and there are aspects of our dynamic I miss; however, choosing Helios was a million times the right decision. 

Shifting Desires

All except one of these and my other relationships at the time have one thing in common: They were casual. Sage was less casual (hence the term “girlfriend”), but with everyone else there was an understanding that it wasn’t serious and could end at any time. We weren’t friends, and we certainly weren’t going on dates. 

Eventually, this started catching up with me. The casual sex got old and I started becoming more aware of how risky my behavior had been around the same time.

I recognized that I was craving relationship, not just sex.

The me who timidly signed up for dating apps thinking beggars cannot be choosers was nowhere to be found; I knew I could now confidently pursue what I actually wanted. And what did I want? An in-person D/s relationship.

I did not know Helios yet, but I was now ready to meet him.

My Shot

My ho phase naturally ended itself shortly after I came into Helios’ and Astra’s orbit. I am glad to see the phase over, but I don’t regret it. Yes, it was messy, and I made more than a few dubious decisions. But they were my mistakes to make, and I have grown from them.

There are still a million other things I haven’t done, but I will aim my shot a little more carefully now.



References

Miranda, Lin-Manuel. “Alexander Hamilton,” in Hamilton (Original Broadway Cast Recording). New York City: Atlantic, 2015.

Comments